Small and Rural—HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital - Breese
HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital - Breese
Our Journey to Zero Surgical Site Infections
To decrease surgical site infections (SSIs), HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital - Breese conducted a hospital-wide risk assessment of infection prevention practices. This initiative focused on:
- Collaborating with general surgery providers on patient education for pre- and post-operative care;
- Elevating infection control risk assessments during construction projects; and
- Implementing pre-operative skin preparation protocols for high-risk patients.
As a result:
- The SSI rate fell from 1.16 in 2017 to 0.34 in 2018; and
- Physicians and staff are more engaged in promoting patient safety.