CDC Consolidates COVID Testing Recommendations
June 16, 2020
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released consolidated recommendations for COVID-19 testing, including interim testing guidelines for nursing home residents and healthcare personnel, and testing strategy options for high-density critical infrastructure workplaces after a COVID-19 case is identified. The consolidated recommendations, Overview of Testing for SARS-CoV-2, are based on what is currently known about COVID-19 and are subject to change as additional information becomes available.
The document includes a summary of current CDC recommendations for testing people:
- Who have signs or symptoms of COVID-19;
- Have no symptoms but recently had contact with someone known or suspected to have COVID-19;
- Have no symptoms and no known contact with someone known or suspected to have COVID-19 but still may be tested for early identification in special settings;
- Have had confirmed COVID-19 but no longer have symptoms; and
- May be tested by public health officials to track spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.