July 13, 2020
The Illinois Dept. of Commerce & Economic Opportunity (DCEO) is reminding local units of government, including hospitals governed by a special district, that they can apply for reimbursement for COVID-19 related costs under the Local Coronavirus Urgent Remediation Emergency (or Local CURE) Support Program (Section 3-10 of Public Act 101-0636). Special districts can apply for CARES Act funding until Friday, July 17 at 4 p.m. This applies to all units of local government (except school districts) outside of Cook, Lake, Will, Kane, and DuPage counties.
According to DCEO, the Local CURE Program:
- Is federally funded from the Coronavirus Relief Fund using dollars allocated to Illinois through the CARES Act.
- Will reimburse units of local government for costs that:
- are necessary expenditures incurred due to the public health emergency with respect to COVID-19;
- were not accounted for in the budget most recently approved as of March 27, 2020 (the date of enactment of the CARES Act) for the unit of local government; and
- were incurred during the period beginning March 1, 2020 and ending Dec. 30, 2020.
Examples of costs eligible for reimbursement under the program:
- Medical expenses, including but not limited to: expenses of establishing temporary public medical facilities and other measures to increase COVID-19 treatment capacity, costs of providing COVID-19 testing, and emergency medical response expenses;
- Public health expenses, including but not limited to: expenses for communication and enforcement by local governments of public health orders related to COVID-19;
- Payroll expenses for public safety, public health, health care, human services, and similar employees whose services were substantially dedicated to mitigating or responding to COVID-19;
- Expenses for actions taken to facilitate compliance with COVID-19 related public health measures;
- Any other COVID-19 related expenses reasonably necessary for the unit of local government to respond to the public health emergency that satisfies the Local CURE Program eligibility criteria. Local governments must document how expenses are related to COVID-19.
For more information, click here. The application can be found here.