June 11, 2021
Today, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced new deadlines for using and reporting on payments received from the Provider Relief Fund (PRF). New deadlines are as follows:
- Payments received between April 10 and June 30, 2020 must be used by June 30, 2021. The reporting period for these payments is July 1 to Sept. 30, 2021.
- Payments received between July 1 and Dec. 31, 2020 must be used by Dec. 31, 2021. The reporting period for these payments is Jan. 1 to March 31, 2022.
- Payments received between Jan. 1 and June 30, 2021 must be used by June 30, 2022. The reporting period for these payments is July 1 to Sept. 30, 2022.
- Payments received between July 1 and Dec. 31, 2021 must be used by Dec. 31, 2022. The reporting period for these payments is Jan. 1 to March 31, 2023.
Hospital PRF payments made prior to June 30, 2020 include the phase 1 general distribution (April), the first rural distribution (May 6), the first high impact distribution (May 7), skilled nursing facility payments (May 22), and the first safety net hospital distribution (June 9). The updated reporting deadlines do not apply to the rural health clinic COVID-19 testing program, HRSA’s reimbursement for testing, treatment and vaccine administration for uninsured individuals, or the COVID-19 Coverage Assistance Fund.
HHS also issued updated Reporting Guidance and FAQs. FAQ updates include:
- Guidance directing providers to return PRF money not expended by the relevant deadline (p. 8);
- A list of other financial assistance received, including Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) funds, that providers must offset when utilizing PRF payments (p. 16); and
- Modifications to the reporting process for transferred PRF payments (p. 23).
The PRF Reporting Portal will open for providers to start submitting information on July 1, 2021. IHA will continue monitoring the PRF and communicating updates and future funding opportunities to members.
Please send questions or comments to IHA.