December 17, 2020
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced extended quarter (Q) 3 2020 data submission deadlines for providers participating in certain Medicare Quality Reporting and Value-Based Purchasing Programs. Citing COVID-19, CMS extended relevant deadlines by one month for the following programs:
- Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting (OQR) Program;
- Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program;
- Hospital-Acquired Condition (HAC) Reduction Program
- PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting (PCHQR) Program;
- End Stage Renal Disease Quality Incentive Program (ESRD QIP);
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (IRF) Quality Reporting Program (QRP); and
- Long-Term Care Hospital (LTCH) QRP.
Additional program details, including the affected measures/requirements, original Q3 deadlines, and specific extended Q3 deadline dates, are on CMS’ QualityNet website.
Hospitals may still apply for additional exceptions to reporting requirements under the Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program. This includes the HAC, VBP and RRP programs. Hospitals must apply for an individual Extraordinary Circumstances Exception (ECE) within 90 days of the date of the extraordinary circumstance, such as the current surge in coronavirus-related hospitalizations. More information can be found in this IHA memo, or on the CMS QualityNet Inpatient Quality Reporting website. CMS also provides ECEs for the ESRD QIP, IRF QRP and LTCH QRP. Information specific to the ESRD, IRF and LTCH ECE process are on CMS’ QualityNet website.
Please send questions or comments to IHA.