IHA Alert: Urge Congress to Pass Additional Funding for Hospitals/Health Systems
April 16, 2020
Urge Congress to Provide Additional Funding to Support Hospitals and Health Systems Efforts to Combat COVID-19
Members of Congress are currently discussing additional legislation to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. IHA is urgently requesting additional funding for hospitals and health systems be included to support additional expenses being incurred as a result of COVID-19 and to address the dramatic decline in the volume of routine care and procedures.
ACTION REQUESTED: Please contact your U.S. Representatives and Senators and urge them to include additional direct funding for hospitals in the next COVID-19 response bill. While we recognize and appreciate the initial $100 billion fund Congress directed to hospitals and other providers in the CARES Act, we know that additional resources are needed. To look up your members of Congress and their contact information, click here and fill in your local information in the “Find Politicians” box. To email your members of Congress, click here.
State of Play: Conversations on another broad stimulus package are ongoing. In the meantime, Congressional leaders and the White House are discussing interim legislation to provide a $250 billion infusion for the Small Business Administration loan program established in the CARES Act. Democratic leaders, as well as some Republicans in Congress, have also called for an additional $100 billion for hospitals and other healthcare providers, among other priorities.
Suggested Talking Points
- Illinois hospitals are taking extraordinary and costly action to keep the public safe and care for patients. We are prepared to do whatever is necessary to deal with this unprecedented emergency.
- Hospitals have taken herculean efforts to convert physical space, obtain personal protective equipment, and ensure that front-line health care workers are ready to meet the needs before us.
- [Please provide specific examples of higher costs and lost revenues, as well as actions and challenges related to maintaining your workforce and protecting their safety (e.g., new protocols and training, higher costs for PPE, providing childcare, etc.).
- While we appreciate the leadership of the Illinois delegation in securing initial funding in the CARES Act, additional resources are necessary to ensure hospitals can continue to prepare for and manage surge capacity, purchase needed supplies, ensure the safety and continuity of the healthcare workforce and care for patients.
- IHA respectfully requests Congress act expeditiously to provide $100 billion in additional direct funding and support for hospitals and their dedicated caregivers.
- Not only are Illinois hospitals critical to the health and wellbeing of all Illinoisans, they are also a vital job-creating sector of the Illinois economy, generating an economic impact of more than $100 billion annually and nearly a half million direct and indirect jobs.
- 250,000 heroic workers are employed by Illinois hospitals and health systems.