These unsung heroes have made a huge difference for patients and staff at Pana Community Hospital in Pana:
- Demosthenes Ascunsion, MD, Emergency Physician/Hospitalist: After a COVID-19 outbreak in the community, Dr. Ascunsion supported nursing leadership and clinical staff in the planning and opening of the hospital's inpatient COVID unit. Thanks to his leadership and inspiration, clinical staff were prepared to care for an influx of patients.
- Terry Cunnington, MD, Medical Director, fearlessly led staff through this unprecedented crisis. His contributions to planning and establishing a respiratory tent were vital to protecting clinical staff and ensuring safe patient care. Dr. Cunnington has led by example in enforcing stringent PPE and safety, while acting as a trusted source of information to the community.
- Lisa Edwards, Home Health RN, Quad County Home Health, courageously stepped up to conduct the area's first COVID-19 testing. She followed up with patients at home, helping to prevent community spread. Edwards also helped develop the hospital's outpatient testing procedures and homecare protocol for COVID-positive patients. She has worked long hours and extra days throughout the pandemic.
- Greg Hager, RN, Outpatient Services Manager, has led the hospital's Emergency Operations Planning team during the pandemic. At the onset of the crisis, he was instrumental in securing tents for drive-up testing and a respiratory clinic. His invaluable work with local authorities helped secure extra PPE and other necessary supplies.
- Amanda Harmston, RN, Case Management, Infection Control and Employee Health Manager: Harmston's outstanding efforts in contact tracing have helped prevent outbreaks among staff. She has also worked tirelessly to perform contact tracing with the local health department. Harmston is an exceptional resource for her colleagues.
- Leo Gerochi, Environmental Services Manager, developed processes for the safe delivery of supplies and removal of contaminated linens and trash from the COVID-19 wing. With creative scheduling, he arranged for 24-hour staffing for terminal cleaning and routine cleaning of various units. Gerochi exemplifies the teamwork and dedication needed to manage these difficult times, often working right beside his staff.
The entire Medical Surgical staff also stepped up to the plate by caring for the most severe COVID-19 patients with respect and compassion. Each of these heroes has gone above and beyond by communicating with patients' loved ones, pitching in when needed and continuing care for non-COVID patients:
- Deb Bearup, RN
- Tami Burnett, RN
- Deb Coulter, Unit Secretary
- Allie Epley, RN
- Sheli Evans, RN
- Lupe Hebenstreit, LPN
- Kathy Helton, RN
- Ann Helton, RN
- Scott Loos, RN
- Betty Park, LPN
- Rebecca Seibert, RN
- Brandi Smith, RN
- Nora Washburn, RN
Pana Community Hospital is an acute care Critical Access Hospital serving the people of Christian, Shelby, Fayette and Montgomery counties in central Illinois.
Unsung heroes never give up.
Read about Amy Rohlfing, MD, of Red Bud Regional Hospital
, who has dedicated countless hours to fighting COVID-19 and leads her teams to manage new surges and challenges.